Social and environmental risk management
All organisations dealing with natural resource management are facing new challenges in today’s globalised world. Their business environment is saturated with perceptions, concerns and expectations of people from different backgrounds and interest groups. This creates breeding ground for social and environmental risks that have impacts on business and shareholder value. Indufor provides assistance in mitigating these risks and improving organisation’s long-term success.
Social risk emerges from society’s aspirations and demands and company’s vulnerability if failing to meet these demands.
The aspirations of civil society and local actors are often far less known than those of the traditional stakeholder groups, investors, customers, employees, and suppliers. Therefore, many organisations are not well equipped to assess, manage or engage stakeholders. Indufor has strong experience in co-operating with global, national and local level stakeholders on all continents and can help public sector entities and private companies in their communication with various interest groups.
Social risk management (SRM) completes the current mainstream of corporate social responsibility (CSR) programmes. It should also be an integral part of all risk management systems. The forerunner organisations base their operations on full social and environmental responsibility at the local level. This way they minimise the potential for conflicts and simultaneously create benefits for both company and communities (win-win).
- Stakeholder analysis
- Screening of corporate vulnerabilities in different societal settings
- Identification of social and environmental risks
- Identification of best practices from stakeholder co-operation viewpoint
- Analysis of corporate responsibility strategy and operations from social risk viewpoint
- Mitigation plans to conflict management
- Establishing company – community partnerships
- Capacity-building in social risk identification and management
- Guidance in implementing social and environmental standards and verification systems
- Interpretation of international criteria on socially and environmentally responsible business